Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day 2011, Featuring Morris Dancing!

All right, I admit it: I barely know what morris dancing is. But for some reason once I read that it was to be featured at the Arnold Arboretum's Lilac Sunday festivities today, I was all excited for it. Possibly because I love archaic British things (I was a Medieval Lit major, after all), and possibly because an anonymous commenter on my favorite cranky townie website, Universal Hub, claimed that "we fought a couple of wars to be rid of" it. Yes, that's right: the British burned down the White House in 1814 because Americans no longer wanted to dance around with hankies and sticks.

We ran into the morris dancers almost as soon as we entered the Arboretum. Baby Razor loved them, so we watched for awhile and I took pictures:

Morris musician!

Leaping!

Twirling!

These are the Ladies of the Rolling Pin

I liked their costumes

My geeky heart also enjoyed their Green Man.

I loved seeing all the families out enjoying themselves.

And I might be a little biased, but...

I'm pretty sure this was the cutest kid there.

1 comment:

  1. Ah yes, I endured a fair amount of Morris dancing growing up, thanks to being forced to go to NEFFA (N.E. Folk Festival Association -- lots of interesting foreign food, but also a loooooooooot of folk dancing) a bunch of times. This has provided my sister and me with the entertaining (for us) ability to improvise very slow dances with sticks, whenever sticks are available. One time at Christmas Revels they wove the sticks into a star! That was pretty sweet. We haven't managed to duplicate that.

    Baby R. is pretty much the cutest ever.

    ReplyDelete