Monday, March 14, 2011

Food Field Trip: An Doughnut at Japonaise Bakery


(Photo via Nicole S. on Yelp)

I love red bean paste, but I have no recollection of when the love affair began. I know it was after I left Martha's Vineyard at 18 (not a lot of authentic Asian cuisine off the Atlantic coast, sadly) but before I met Mr. Razor at 25, because he remembers buying me mooncakes in an attempt to woo me. (Spoiler alert: it worked.) So that's seven years, a fairly large chuck of time to remember. Plus I was drunk for a lot of it.

Anyway, the point is that I love red bean paste, from its dense, silky texture to its earthy sweetness. I also love doughnuts, though I don't get them every weekend like my family used to when I was a kid and they were bribery for behaving in church. So when I discovered that Japonaise Bakery offers the An doughnut, filled with red bean paste? Well, we dropped Baby Razor at the grandparents' and zoomed off to Brookline.

You guys, it was sublime. The doughnut wasn't cakey but sweet and doughy like a funnel cake. It was crusted with a generous amount of sugar and filled with enough red bean paste that you got some from the first bite to the last. It was unusual for a doughnut in that the filling was heavier than the cake. Mr. Razor's review was, "I would like to eat two of these every morning for the rest of my life."

Although it would not be my choice if I was only allowed to eat one thing for the rest of my life (that would be Sofra's beet tzatziki), it's probably in my top five. We'll definitely be going back, and next time we might even share the goodies with the baby. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment