Friday, March 4, 2011

Like Falling Off a Bike

Whoa, this writing thing is harder than I remembered it being! For the past six months, I haven't been writing regularly for the first time in nearly eight years. I started my first blog in March 2003, got my first professional writing job a few months later, then wrote for fun and profit until August of last year. Then I moved, and my daughter started walking and, more importantly, falling down, and suddenly all of my free time was taken up with childproofing and taking deep, calming breaths.

Sadly, this means that I haven't worked in so long that my husband now has to take deep, calming breaths whenever he looks at our bank balance. So I started this blog to get back in the habit of writing every day while I begin resurrecting my freelance career, and I'm glad I did, because writing that first post felt like trying to swim through pudding. It was like writing in something other than my first language; I kept thinking that if I just had the My Brain To English dictionary I'd be fine.

But I got through it, and I posted, and it's not great, but it's something. Now I just have to keep something-ing until it all starts feeling natural again. Which, at this rate, may not be until sometime in 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment