Sunday, March 13, 2011

Remedial Home Ec

I found a pretty fabric remnant at Boomerangs last weekend and stood staring at it until I thought of something I could do with it. I have two magnetic/tack boards on which I hang my scarves and necklaces. They look like this:



I decided I'd cover them with the fabric. Here is the remnant, with bonus cat:



(I sincerely apologize for the [lack of] photo quality. I did this project as Mr. Razor entertained the baby and had to rush. Also, I'm a crap photographer.)

I cut the fabric so that the crest was centered over the board, then broke out my brand new hot glue gun. Despite having absolutely no idea what I was doing (Unlike many modern appliances, glue gun instructions are extremely simple: "Insert glue stick. Plug in. Pull trigger. Try not to glue yourself to anything."), I successfully attached the fabric to the board and only got glue on five of my fingers. Here's the finished product:



Looks good, doesn't it? I took that picture and thought that I'd make this post about how if someone with minimal crafting skills like me can make something this pretty, anyone can!

Then I turned it over.

And noticed that the board's hooks were on the bottom. Yup: I glued the crest on upside down. I'm not sure what I'll do with it now: either glue a new hook on or just rest it on my dresser instead of hanging it. It's not ruined by any means, but it is proof that, sadly, just owning a glue gun does not automatically turn one into Martha Stewart.

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous fabric! And gluing it on upside down? Totally something I would do! But a cheap hook drilled in should solve the problem.

    I need to create something like this to combat the scarf epidemic that's slowly taking over my closet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Try not to glue yourself to anything." That is MUCH harder than it sounds. That fabric is gorgeous. I hope that your hook problem is easily solved!! (I have put pictures in frames upside down; I know your pain.)

    ReplyDelete