Monday, April 11, 2011

Whan that Aprill, with his shoures soote The droghte of March hath perced to the roote


(Title has nothing to do with the post, but I gotta use that $100,000 degree in Medieval Lit somewhere. Plus, the Canterbury Tales are also old.)

It’s April, which means Spring, which means the annual Daisy Gets Her Shit Together Project. I’m starting today with my lists: decorating, decluttering, DIY, home improvement, and freelancing. Since I’m feeling list-y and nostalgic, today’s post is about...

Things I used all the time that will someday completely baffle my daughter:

Rotary dial phones
Phones with cords
Busy signals
Answering machines
Pay phones (probably)

Records & record players
Boom boxes
Cassette tapes
Walkmen
Portable CD players
CDs
Liner notes (as a music geek, this one may break my heart the most)

Non-flat TVs
TV antennae
VCRs
Movie rental stores

Film
Negatives
Polaroid pictures (“Shake it like a what?”)

Card catalogs (well, functional card catalogs. I have one in the living room that we use for storage.)
Encyclopedia sets
Paper college applications
Acceptance letters (Probably a good thing. I broke a whole bunch of traffic laws getting home the day I found out I’d gotten mine.)
Handwritten school papers
Telephone books

Watches as anything but decorative
Incandescent lightbulbs

Modems
Floppy discs

She won’t remember a world without:
Caller ID
Cable TV and 24 hour programming
ATMs
Text messages
Computers
Email
The internet


Did I miss anything?

2 comments:

  1. My cassette Walkman was my pride and joy. When I got the version that would fast forward to the end of each track, my cup of happiness did overflow! I thought I was so hi-tech!!

    We have so many cameras at home, we can practically see the evolution of the device over the years, starting with my grandfather's back in the day. I'm not sure what day that was but it was the kind that liked its cameras big and bulky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been trying to convince my mom to throw out the World Book Encyclopedia from 1985 that is in my parents' house. I have tried to tell her that NO ONE is going to use that bad boy for research 1. because the internet is faster/easier and 2. the information in the books is horribly outdated. But will she throw them out? No. Will she even donate them to a worthy cause? No. Because somebody in our family might need them. ^.^

    ReplyDelete