Thursday, March 28, 2013

Sample Sale: Sacrilege Edition

So we have a new Pope and Easter is this weekend (Unless you're Eastern Orthodox, in which case Jesus isn't back until Cinco de Mayo.). What better time to tie your conspicuous consumption to religious themes? Oh, also: a kick-ass recipe for all your leftover hard-boiled eggs.

Donald J Pliner Viky (Zappos, $139.99 from $198) You probably can't afford to have your shoes handmade by Italian shoemakers like Pope Benedict did, but these are a lovely shade of red.


Burgundy Wool Hat (Boring Sidney, $55 on clearance) Not as fancy as the pope's mitre, but certainly jaunty!



Alice & Olivia Wrap Front Maxi Dress (Shopbop, $176 from $220) Resurrection chic!


Rose Water Syrup (Terrain, 49.95 from $14) Because I don't know about you, but religious holidays with my family always involve cocktails.



Burgundy Feathered Fascinator (Anthropologie, $99.95 from $188) I know what I'm wearing to Easter Mass next year!




Chocolate Peanut Butter Eggs (Williams Sonoma, $7.99 from $11.95) For those days when Reese's eggs just aren't good enough.


Easter Jacquard Towels (Carte & Barrel, $3.95 from $12.95) I confess: I have a shameful weakness for holiday-themed tea towels. These aren't available online, but the website will tell you if your closest store has them.


Red Ceramic-Crate Egg Holder (Sur La Table, $8.99 from $12.95) In which to serve your bacon deviled eggs (see recipe below).


Sylvain the Little Rabbit (Land of Nod, $16.95 from $29) I would say get this for the kids in your life, but I kind of want to snuggle it myself.



Bacon Deviled Eggs

(Adapted from this recipe at Chow)

12 Eggs
6 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
2 teaspoons rendered bacon fat
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
3-4 slices of bacon, crumbled*
shredded cheddar cheese (for garnish)

*If you have a Trader Joe's near you, I highly recommend their Bacon Ends.

1) Hard boil the eggs. Peel, cut in half & remove yolks.

2) Mix yolks, mayo, mustard, bacon fat, vinegar, thyme, and crumbled bacon until smooth

3) Pipe or spoon the mixture into the egg whites (I cut the corner off of a Ziploc bag & pipe that way).

4) Shred the cheddar over the eggs

5) Attempt to avoid eating them all in one sitting

2 comments:

  1. OK, that was pretty much the funniest thing ever. Plus a recipe! I admire you. And I am definitely making that egg thing. I have some rendered bacon fat in my fridge already :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dammit, I want those shoes now.

    ReplyDelete