Monday, April 29, 2013

Weird, Wacky, Wonderful: Martini Junction

Months ago, Laura Olin linked to Atlas Obscura on Twitter. I'm always looking for things to do with Baby Razor, so I searched for anything near me. Lo and behold, there was something called Martini Junction only twenty minutes from my house.

A hundred and twenty feet of model railroad tracks in the middle of the woods? Yeah, that sounded like something a three-and-a-half-year-old would enjoy. Unfortunately, it was February and said woods were about to be under two feet of snow. But it sounded so charming that come the first warm spring day, G and I headed to Needham Woods to search for it.

Of course, we promptly took a wrong turn. But we had a lovely picnic lunch on a fallen log, and our poor navigation meant Mr. Razor could come with us on our second attempt this weekend.

Here's what you do: Drive to the Robinwood Avenue entrance to Needham Woods. Turn right and follow the path, which is marked by tiny faux-birdhouses with white tops.


Look for a path on your right, turn onto it, and look for this birdhouse:


Then follow the orange-topped birdhouses. It's a twisty, root-y, up & down trail, but it's not particularly difficult. Baby Razor didn't have any problem with it. It's aways down the trail. I started to get discouraged when we saw a set of houses to our right, because it meant we were near the edge of the woods again. But then we saw this:


A bit further along the path came this:


We started to get excited. More signposts along the trail led us to our destination:


We'd found it!


The tracks were a beautiful addition to the woodsy landscape, and it was obvious how much time and care had been put into building them.



But it turned out the tracks were just the beginning of Martini Junction's magic. The area is packed with tiny buildings, models, and tableaux.



I don't know how much was put there by the tracks' builder and how much was added by visitors. I know that the spot is popular with geocachers, who often add to a cache when they find it. Regardless, the scene above is particularly charming, since it depicts a craftsman with a model train, birdhouses like the ones lining the trails in Needham Woods, and what looks like a bottle of vermouth--essential to a proper martini. All signs point to this being a meta-commentary on The Creator of Martini Junction.

But I have to say, this was my favorite bit, although I have no idea if it was intentional or not:


See the book by the monkey's paw? Yeah. Awesome. Someone also took the time to print out a realistic-looking computer screen and glue it to the teeny computer. I love it.

There's so much more that I'm leaving out for hikers to discover on their own. If you go, you can listen to the water wheel


And enjoy a snack and a drink at the table & benches.


If you're really lucky, the builder will be there and you'll get to see the trains (which are kept in padlocked boxes underneath the benches) running on the tracks. We weren't that lucky this weekend, but we'll definitely be going back.

4 comments:

  1. That's AWESOME! I actually saw this online ages ago but haven't gotten around to visiting. How does all the stuff survive the winter, or do you think people come back and repair all the broken things?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were wondering the same thing about winter-wear! I'd also love to find out the answer, but my instinct is that someone(s) visit periodically during the winter to make sure everything is okay. (Although we did notice a few broken and displaced bits, so maybe it isn't fixed up all that often.)

      Delete
  2. That is the coolest thing ever. I mean, I saw the headline and thought my usual thought about martinis, but when I realized that it was a tiny fake railroad instead of a vodka drink, I was actually MORE excited :-) Thank you for taking the time to get all those great photos. I felt as if I were there (and yet I still want to drive all the way up to Mass. and see it for myself).

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Chooch," as he is known, noticed this blog post and posted a link to it as a note to the geocache listing:
    http://coord.info/GC31DE

    Geocachers can award 'favorite' points to the best geocaches they find. "Martini Junction" (or "The Depot" as it is known to geocachers) has the most favorite points of any of the geocaches in Massachusetts.

    ReplyDelete